TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Apr 2024 20:21

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012 18:28 

Hello Roland,

I'm just wondering :

Will it be possible in a future version of transdem to do

a) In the section export to trainz Vector Data ( Tracks and other splines ) : possibility to add a kuid2 number

b) in the section route editor : make a copy of an existing polyline and be able to paste it a few centimeters to the left/right of the existing polyline.

This would make it possible to place a track using the export to trainz vector data option and also a catenary, and all in a fast way.

Now placing a catenary ( pylon+catenary+wire ) takes a lot of time.

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012 19:22 

Belgian46 wrote:
Hello Roland,

I'm just wondering :

I am currently finalizing the doc update for TransDEM 2.3 which will bring the new functions for GPS and for complex georeferencing using triangular networks.

Quote:
a) In the section export to trainz Vector Data ( Tracks and other splines ) : possibility to add a kuid2 number
Internally TransDEM processes KUID and KUID2 evenhandedly. You should normally not need to specify a KUID2 version number, since the latest is the one to go for. TransDEM 2.3 will fix a shortcoming, though, allowing the "-1" to be set as the User-ID.

Quote:
b) in the section route editor : make a copy of an existing polyline and be able to paste it a few centimeters to the left/right of the existing polyline.
You can already do that. Select the polyline, press [Ctrl] and drag a copy of the polyline to the position you like. However, this would be an exact copy of the original. What you may have in mind is a copy that observes perpendiculars and angle bisectors. Though not very complicated, I think that's beyond the scope of TransDEM. But with TransDEM's support of vector data file formats, it should be easy enough to accomplish such tasks with an external tool.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012 20:03 

geophil wrote:
Belgian46 wrote:
Hello Roland,

I'm just wondering :

I am currently finalizing the doc update for TransDEM 2.3 which will bring the new functions for GPS and for complex georeferencing using triangular networks.

Complex georeferencing using triangular networks :?: . I will do a search for some explanation about this feature.

Quote:
Internally TransDEM processes KUID and KUID2 evenhandedly. You should normally not need to specify a KUID2 version number, since the latest is the one to go for. TransDEM 2.3 will fix a shortcoming, though, allowing the "-1" to be set as the User-ID.

I tried kuid2:217979:5338:1 ( 25kv eay 1v 1p vir dr gare ), just by entering the digits 217979:5338, but nothing appeared in my route. I will try it again. Very good to have the -1 to be set as the user-id :D

Quote:
You can already do that. Select the polyline, press [Ctrl] and drag a copy of the polyline to the position you like. However, this would be an exact copy of the original. What you may have in mind is a copy that observes perpendiculars and angle bisectors. Though not very complicated, I think that's beyond the scope of TransDEM. But with TransDEM's support of vector data file formats, it should be easy enough to accomplish such tasks with an external tool.

I wanted to make an exact copy of the route, however I overlooked one thing ( :mrgreen: ), when using the section export to trainz vector data, both routes will be placed, for example as a track. It's not possible to get one part as track and the other part as catenary. Again, I have to go back to my drawingboard. ok - came back from the drawingboard - Saving each route separately is an option and does work. I manage to get a track and a catenary using the trainz vector data option

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012 09:40 

Belgian46 wrote:
Complex georeferencing using triangular networks :?: . I will do a search for some explanation about this feature.
It's for distorted track schemas. I wrote about it in German:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?92430-TransDEM-Vorschau-Labor

Belgian46 wrote:
I tried kuid2:217979:5338:1 ( 25kv eay 1v 1p vir dr gare ), just by entering the digits 217979:5338
That should work, but I'll check again.

Belgian46 wrote:
I wanted to make an exact copy of the route, however I overlooked one thing ( :mrgreen: ), when using the section export to trainz vector data, both routes will be placed, for example as a track. It's not possible to get one part as track and the other part as catenary.
No, indeed. That would mean a new layer system. Something which is on my list for quite some time.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012 12:22 

Hello Roland,

geophil wrote:
Belgian46 wrote:
It's for distorted track schemas. I wrote about it in German:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?92430-TransDEM-Vorschau-Labor

At school ( more than 30 years ago), during the German lessons, we never had some text about mathematical elements. I had to use Google translate to understand something about your explanation. I will have to wait until I have the possibility to do a tutorial about this feature. However, I can understand some parts of it. For information, I was good in some elements of mathematics, but I also had some elements which were never understood :lol:

Belgian46 wrote:
I tried kuid2:217979:5338:1 ( 25kv easy 1v 1p vir dr gare ), just by entering the digits 217979:5338
That should work, but I'll check again.

I tried everything again, created new routes and within the vector data section I used the asset as track and auxiliary. Now I had a positive result 8-) . I dont't know what went wrong in the first place. :?

Belgian46 wrote:
I wanted to make an exact copy of the route, however I overlooked one thing ( :mrgreen: ), when using the section export to trainz vector data, both routes will be placed, for example as a track. It's not possible to get one part as track and the other part as catenary.
No, indeed. That would mean a new layer system. Something which is on my list for quite some time.

Hmm, a new layer system and it's on your list. Is this a tough element to incorporate?

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2012 22:14 

Belgian46 wrote:
At school ( more than 30 years ago), during the German lessons, we never had some text about mathematical elements. I had to use Google translate to understand something about your explanation. I will have to wait until I have the possibility to do a tutorial about this feature. However, I can understand some parts of it. For information, I was good in some elements of mathematics, but I also had some elements which were never understood :lol:
Well, one mathematical principle is the Triangular Irregular Network (TIN). It has been implemented in TransDEM from the very beginning as it is the base math tool for most DEM editing.

The other principle is that of an affine transformation. As long as you use online geo data sources you may not be confronted with the transformation, but as soon as you start using the 3 (+1) georeferencing method, you will implicitly use it. Each reference point has two coordinate pairs, one is the pixel coordinates, the position within the image, the other is the geo coordinates of that same point. To determine the parameters of an affine transformation, you need three reference points, each with the two coordinates pairs. This gives you six equations with as many variables to find. These are: Translation: Shift of origin between pixel and geo coords (2 vars), rotation (1 var), scaling for x and y axis (2 vars) and shear (trapezoidal factor) for one axis (1 var).

Now, combine triangular network and affine transformation and you can allow many more than 3 georeferencing points, yielding an individual transformation for each triangle. The triangles are formed on the fly, simply taking the nearest reference points.

Where can you use it? The easier variant is to compensate slight distortions which happen when scanning a paper map. The other application field is the heavy stuff: distorted track plans, where scale is different along the track and perpendicular to the track. The new georeferencing will offer help here, but it remains a tough task which still requires accuracy, diligence and patience.

Belgian46 wrote:
Hmm, a new layer system and it's on your list. Is this a tough element to incorporate?
Problem is, there is a layer system already in place, but it's hidden under the surface and only one layer (and its sub-layers) is actually in use by TransDEM, but due to the current form of embedding this structure, other layers cannot be made use of. That needs some serious reworking and therefore gets postponed.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012 18:00 

Hello Roland,

Thank you for some more explantion. Now, I went back in time, but I can't remember having see something about TIN during the maths lessons. I even had a look in my math geometry book that I used at the time. :lol: Nothing about TIN. Must be maths of a higher level.

geophil wrote:
Belgian46 wrote:
Well, one mathematical principle is the Triangular Irregular Network (TIN). It has been implemented in TransDEM from the very beginning as it is the base math tool for most DEM editing.

The other principle is that of an affine transformation. As long as you use online geo data sources you may not be confronted with the transformation, but as soon as you start using the 3 (+1) georeferencing method, you will implicitly use it. Each reference point has two coordinate pairs, one is the pixel coordinates, the position within the image, the other is the geo coordinates of that same point. To determine the parameters of an affine transformation, you need three reference points, each with the two coordinates pairs. This gives you six equations with as many variables to find. These are: Translation: Shift of origin between pixel and geo coords (2 vars), rotation (1 var), scaling for x and y axis (2 vars) and shear (trapezoidal factor) for one axis (1 var).

Now, combine triangular network and affine transformation and you can allow many more than 3 georeferencing points, yielding an individual transformation for each triangle. The triangles are formed on the fly, simply taking the nearest reference points.

Where can you use it? The easier variant is to compensate slight distortions which happen when scanning a paper map. The other application field is the heavy stuff: distorted track plans, where scale is different along the track and perpendicular to the track. The new georeferencing will offer help here, but it remains a tough task which still requires accuracy, diligence and patience.

Problem is, there is a layer system already in place, but it's hidden under the surface and only one layer (and its sub-layers) is actually in use by TransDEM, but due to the current form of embedding this structure, other layers cannot be made use of. That needs some serious reworking and therefore gets postponed.[/quote]

Absolutely a very logic point of view to postpone the rework.

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012 09:34 

Belgian46 wrote:
Now, I went back in time, but I can't remember having see something about TIN during the maths lessons.
No, it's probably not something you will be taught in school math. TINs are a variant of the ubiquitous triangles in computer algorithms and 2D and 3D graphics, a field of Applied Mathematics. There is a lot of science and academic research behind the computer games we are often not aware of. A keyword for TINs is "Delaunay triangulation", and you'll find articles on both topics in wikipedia.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012 18:02 

geophil wrote:
Belgian46 wrote:
Now, I went back in time, but I can't remember having see something about TIN during the maths lessons.
No, it's probably not something you will be taught in school math. TINs are a variant of the ubiquitous triangles in computer algorithms and 2D and 3D graphics, a field of Applied Mathematics. There is a lot of science and academic research behind the computer games we are often not aware of. A keyword for TINs is "Delaunay triangulation", and you'll find articles on both topics in wikipedia.

Hello Roland,

Obiquitous triangles in computer algorithms. No, never saw anything about that. Thanks for the keyword Delaunay triangulation, which gives me the oppertunity to read more about it.

Best regards

Kurt